Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Pho at Saiguette

One would think that a hick from Albany wouldn't end up at 106th and Columbus Ave. in Manhattan eating pho, but I had help from The Village Voice.  Thanks to Google I entered "pho upper west side" and got a Village Voice article about the 10 best restaurants. Apparently it's not a neighborhood known for good eating, however the food writer in question waxed enthusiastic. With that tip I took off walking to Saiguette, determined to try this little seven-seater joint.  I'm soooooo glad I did.


It comes as a kit.  I ordered brisket and eye of round.  This time I squeezed the lime juice over everything before pouring the broth and it was a good thing to do.


The broth is served plenty hot enough to cook the beef.  I rhapsodize over this broth because it is robust and delicious.  As you may guess, if you haven't eaten a lot of pho, it's the broth that determines everything. This had an aroma of anise and ginger with a good balance of salty fish sauce. Otherwise pho is just a list of very plain ingredients and some chilis. This broth is on the salty side, which I find to really bring everything together and not leave the noodles behind as a pile of plain rice starch.


After slurping off the broth, this final group of meat, sprouts and chili is ready to devour with the last of the hoisin and sriracha.

Then one waddles out, wholly satisfied and warm into the December afternoon.

I'm looking forward to re-tasting local pho and trying what I haven't yet tasted to see where the good stuff is in our region.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there,

My name is Freddy. Surfing on the net I found your blog and noticed you have a great number of tasty recipes there, that is why I am contacting you. I wonder if you would like join our website www.mytaste.com and receive more visitors to your blog through making your recipes available to a greater number of internet users.

Mytaste.com has been launched recently and from the first day it has gained popularity among food lovers. Today the site can be found in 45 countries, where we deliver thousands of visitors to food blogs daily. Some Top Food Blogs on our pages receive more than 20 thousands unique visitors a week.

Recently and to improve the user experience and develop their loyalty we added social features that allow our users to create cookbooks, save recipes and follow other users. This means that when a recipe from your blog is saved, the user will always have the opportunity of visiting your blog again.

So, if this sounds like a good plan to you, please visit our website & add your blog through the Top Food Blogs section here: www.mytaste.com/top-food-blogs. There you will find all the instructions you need to follow to become a part of our bloggers family.

Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

Warm regards,
Freddy