Monday, November 3, 2008

Matzoh ball soup

I nailed it last night:

chicken from Hawthorne Valley Farm,
carrots from Fox Creek Farm
Onions from Fox Creek Farm
garlic from Fox Creek Farm

I've often tried to over-do matzoh ball soup with too many flavors and last night I tried to copy a version I encountered in a Philadelphia deli.

Yum ola!

Three carrots and a medium onion chopped into good soup-sized pieces and sauteed until tender
add 2 cloves of garlic, whole
48oz stock
approximately half a cooked chicken. I baked mine with all the skin on it a couple days ago, and used a bit of the fat and almost all the gel because I recently read that all the gelatinous things are good for you! Chop it into bite sized pieces.

8-10 small matzoh balls

salt and pepper to taste

simmer long enough to properly cook the matzoh balls and warm your body and soul

Makes four generous bowls of soup

No comments: