Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Doing Dishes: Peppered Steak

I don't claim to be anything more than a middle aged, middle class, middle manager that occasionally (only occasionally, mind you) shares my middle finger or "number 11" with idiot drivers. That's by day.

By night (or very very early in the morning) when I eat out or cook or kick butt at the gym or run around saving mortals in the Capital Region from the forces of evil, then I claim to be Zena, Goddess of Fire. So you may think that's awesome, and it is, but yesterday another driver gave me the "number 11", and although I'm sure in no way was it deserved, I had a taste of what it's like to be dissed and I didn't like it, and believe me, I did everything I could not to cause their car to disintegrate in thin air with a wave of my tiny fist.

Recently I dissed the B&B's Steak au Poivre as burnt (even past a fire goddess' standards), with no sauce to speak of, and no pepper neither. It was "pas ici". And they were nice to me about it, very grown up, but I'm sure in secret they wish I was mortal. So, to make amends for this and for being a food blogger with no credentials beyond after hours superhuman capabilities, I went and got me some good rib eye and decided to share my peppered steak recipe because, like me, this is awesome.

Yes, all I had was Courvoisier. 

Zena, Goddes of Fire's Peppered Steak for More than Mere Mortals

Four six-ounce 1" thick rib eye steaks, at room temperature (or two 12 ouncers, as pictured)
Freshly ground black pepper and sea salt, to taste (be generous)
4 tablespoons of sweet butter
3 tablespoons of green peppercorns, finely chopped
4 tablespoons of cognac (more for drinking)
1/3 cup heavy cream

Press 2 tablespoons of the green peppercorns, salt and pepper into both sides of the meat. In a large cast iron pan set over medium heat, heat the butter until brown then pan saute your steaks, 4 minutes on the first side - do not disturb - then flip and cook on the other side 4 minutes longer approximately, depending on your preferred degree of doneness. Set aside and keep warm. While the meat is resting, lower the heat and carefully, unless you are a fire god/ddess, deglaze the pan with the cognac, then add the heavy cream and remaining green peppercorns and simmer until reduced and heated through, approximately 5 minutes longer.

The sauce should hold its own and not take over the bottom of the plate.
My apologies to B&B - I only wish you the best.

Love, Zena

No comments: